George Kambosos’ victory over Teofimo Lopez is the upset of 2021
UPSET OF THE YEAR 2021
1. GEORGE KAMBOSOS JNR w pts 12 TEÓFIMO LÓPEZ
IF anyone bar George Kambosos Jnr or his team tell you they knew the Aussie was going to beat Teófimo López be very, very suspicious of that person’s integrity. This was a ginormous upset in a year full of them. Kambosos had looked solid in his previous bout, but far from spectacular, while beating Lee Selby last year. In comparison, Teófimo López turned in a performance of the ages to defeat Vasiliy Lomachenko in last year’s biggest upset. López looked special that night but against Kambosos, he was one-dimensional and too eager to get the KO he had promised. It made for a fun and truly thrilling affair but at the end of 12 rounds, Kambosos had not only won the fight, he’d won the hearts of fans the world over.
- Kiko Martinez w ko 6 Kid Galahad
- Mauricio Lara w rsf 9 Josh Warrington
- Anderson Silva w pts 8 Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr
- Gabriel Rosado w ko 3 Bektemir Melikuziev